Monday, May 23, 2005

The Lion Cut


Bob with his "Lion Cut" Posted by Hello

One may ask... "What is a Lion Cut?". Well its the fancy name for a shave down , for our long haired feline friends, except the head, legs and tail are left long. Your beautiful longhaired cat suddenly is reminescent of its wild ancestor the lion, hence the name the "Lion Cut". To be quite honest I had no idea either until I owned a Himilayan with an extremely thick haircoat. Groomers I am sure love this concept which definetly beats brushing out mats and large amounts of undercoat in the spring. From my personal experience the lucky cat who receives this fashionable haircut also prefers this form of a spring cleanup as brushing out mats can be very painfull. OUCH!

Having lived with my Himi Bob (who has experienced the Lion Cut twice, most recently this past weekend) for the past 14 years I can say the hair and the brushing is never ending. I thought that when I first shaved him it would turn this already shy cat into a total recluse but both times he has amazed me. In both cases he has become more socialble ,affectionate and happy. Go figure! So it really doesnt bother me any to have him shaved down...besides the fact that it cuts down on the hair in the house!

So if you are thinking of getting a long haired cat in this crazy busy life that we all lead you may want to remember that the nice picture with the long beautifully well groomed coat that attracted you to the breed in the beginning will soon be replaced with that of a beautiful well groomed "Lion Cut", which may I add makes for a great conversation topic!

http://www.thecatgallery.com/himalayan_cat_models_page_8.html

No comments: