Wednesday, April 05, 2006

LuLu the Lovebird


Well it was bound to happen, working in an animal shelter. The day finally arrived when I had to bring an animal home I could not resist.

Her name is LuLu and she is the most beautiful little peach faced lovebird. She came to us at the shelter as a stray...Poor little thing. Left outside all by herself with no tail feathers...Or maybe she lost them to a neighborhood cat?

I never imagined such a small bird could produce so much sound! For the first 2 days she vocalized ( or shall I say screamed at the top of her lungs) non-stop. I actually had second thoughts and said to myself..."Kristina was have you got yourself into this time?". I have no personal experience keeping birds other than my school training. It is amazing how a tiny bird can have such a huge personality. She has settled down quite a bit now and only is really chatty in the am and late afternoon.

She has been quite entertaining in the 2 weeks that I have had her. Most info you read on the web talks about their limited (if any) ability to talk. I have to disagree. At least in her case. She often mimics what we are saying or whistling, to her, and comes up with other things we have no idea about.

She has been a great addition. Looks like she will be staying awhile!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krissy - Lulu wants a CRACKER.

Anonymous said...

hey Krissy....what great news about the new addition.....I have dibs on the next one!!! I have wanted a love bird forever....enjoy your new baby
Sugar